Although my dad wouldn't think this is too funny, I swear he has some cat genes. He has survived yet another life threatening experience. Last Sat AM I spoke with both of my parents on the phone, as did Iris. About about 30 to 60 minutes later my mom calmly called to let me know the rescue squad was on the way to St. V's with dad. I thought this would be some sort of false alarm and if there was a concern, easily fixed. Well as it turns out it was a long, roller-coastery type day. My brother and sister in law met Mom at the hospital (seemed similar to last time dad had a life threatening trip to St. V's--- except that time I was a quick drive away in Appleton).
I think he technically had the heart attack in the ER. Lucky for my dad, his lungs are bad so he was intubated. In the cath lab he coded several times (I recollect 3, as do others, but mom only recalls being told he coded twice). Reportedly, CPR was done for quite awhile at the last of the codings (is that the right word) and at that point mom, Dan and Pat were informed of this situation from the chaplain...
They were keeping us updated in Michigan. After that report, Jeremy informed me that Dad would not survive. Low and behold, he was revived! (Turns out the intubation saved his life--- it is not usual to be intubated in a cath procedure--- so bad lungs saved his life). After finding several concerning blockages-- two options presented: Let dad die, or bring him into the OR for open heart surgery, which obviously could result in the first option, or lead to his survival... at that point everyone was ready for surgery already- and the surgery quickly began. It was expected to last approximately 4 hours, with no real time line. At about the 3.5 hour mark, we were told the heart lung machine was on and they expected that to be on for about an hour to an hour and a half. We also knew at this point,the greatest concern for him to survive the surgery was for his heart to restart... which given the stress the heart had in the AM, was a pretty concerning scenario.
As the time for him to come off the machine approached I sensed a huge amount of physical anxiety. It took a bit longer than expected, but he survived the surgery and came off the heart lung machine remarkably! (everyone in the OR thought that went better then expected apparantly). We were all (maybe not Jeremy) being a tad optomistic at this news, when mom called me back to tell me that things were not good at all and that his body was not accepting oxygen. At this time, Jeremy again explained that one can't live without oxygen (which I clearly knew, but hearing it from his makes it different) and that if his body wasn't "accepting oxygen" that was a very bad thing.
Dad's body starting improving on his own, and he has been on the mend ever since. He has had some set backs (some not so good infections, having a LOT of trouble with one of his legs). He got discharged to the rehab floor today, and we are hoping for (another) full recovery.
So all of Saturday, I was in Michigan. I contemplated hopping in the car with Iris, but an 8 hour drive with a crying child, knowing my dad was going through what he was going through, was NOT a good idea. Last time dad was in that type of situation, I remember my driving leg shaking as I was driving from Appleton to GB--- We all did NOT think it was a good idea for me to drive that. All of us (Jeremy, Iris, Heatley and I) were planning on catching the SS Badger on Wed, so we just moved that up to Sunday. JEremy's employer was very understanding and gave him that Tuedsay off (Mon was Memorial Day). The docs were all very nice as well. We were conferenced in on the conferences, and the cardiologist even spoke directly to Jeremy at one point to, so he could translate the situation for me.
So once, we got home on Sunday, dad was already "with it." The plan had been to keep him sedated 3 to 4 days with his "balloon pump" in, but they took it out already on Sunday. I spent alot of time at the hospital on Sunday and MOnday. Starting Tuesday I spent less time at the hospital and helped Jeremy with getting things picked out for our house. (Picking out things for the house was the reason we planned on coming home in the first place).
So this week we got almost everything picked out for the house. Today I completed my first sprint triathlon. I finished last in my division and second last in my age group, but I finished! So I'm proud of that and now know what to expect at the triathlon I plan on doing in August in Ludington.
That is what is going on with the HIJK family this week!
Karen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yikes, Karen! Your dad is definitely a cat! And his story proves at least one thing -- sometimes our bodies can outsmart medicine! We'll keep thinking good thoughts for your Dad.
ReplyDelete-Molly (and Eric, Layla, Brooks and Prost -- who knows what life those two cats are on!)