My parents crossed Lake Michigan along with Karen and Iris on June 9th to head to East Lansing for my graduation celebration on June 10. It was a very low key affair which was really nice. Got some nice parting gifts including a stuff squirrel wearing MSU attire. After lunch at the clinic most of the staff and physicians went mini-golfing. It was a very entertaining time.

Later that evening we loaded up my parent's truck to move most of our stuff back to Wisconsin. They left the next day. Karen, Iris and Heatley spend another week or so in Michigan with myself - living with the bare essentials and then they headed back to Wisconsin on Father's Day morning which was a little difficult. Thus I have been along in Michigan for a week now. It has been a very boring week. House is empty and I also had lots of free time this week given that fellowship is winding down. Been trying to use up all the food in the house - it is amazing some of the crap you can buy during a year. Looking forward to packing up my car and saying good bye to the state of Michigan again. As mentioned earlier it will be a bitter sweet moment given that I am leaving behind a wonderful group of people and friends.
To say that I am excited about starting the next chapter in my life is an under statement. Freaked out is probably a better descriptor. No more formal education. No more having to discuss every patient with a faculty member. The patients I see will now truly be my patients for better or worse. Hopefully mostly better.
Will be starting my new job on August 23 at Prevea Family/Sports Medicine Clinic. Will be working out of their Ashwaubonen clinic. I will also be involved with St. Norbert Athletics as well as Luxemburg-Casco High School.
Some of you may say that is a lot of time off - hope you are doing something fun. Well not really. Will be studying for my sports medicine boards which I take on July 21st in Madison. Also will be picking up some urgent care shifts to earn some extra money to help pay for the biggest investment of my life. Will be volunteering at the PGA Championship at Whistling Straights in Kohler in August. And of course the biggest time consumer will be building our house.
It has really taken off over the past week or so. Pictures below of are of the foundation being poured, etc.
Since these pictures were taken however things have progressed rapidly. They started framing this past Wednesday and from what I have been told they are pretty far along. I have not seen any pictures of this part of it yet. This also made these past few days a little hard. Not being able to see the progress of your house being built. Not sure why I feel so attached to this house and project. My family thinks I am a little weird with wanting pictures taken on a daily basis. My goal after the project is finished is to put together a photo album documenting the building of our house.
So far the building process has been pretty smooth. There were tough decisions to make but with the help of our builder and Sue at Maccos (who has been a god send) everything worked it self out. I am sure that we will have more problems to handle in the next few months as the building process proceeds. This project will also be very interesting in the fact that hundreds of people will get to see our house prior to us moving in given that it is part of the Brown County Fall Showcase. I am undecided if I want to be at the house during the showcase just walking around acting like a normal participant of the showcase to hear what other people are saying about our house or if I will just stay clear of it during the showcase.
In the meantime, Karen, Iris, Heatley and I are living at my sister Nicole's house till we can move into our new home. Currently, move in day is scheduled for Thursday, September 3o. Things worked out really well given that she is in Kansas with her husband for the next few months and thus their house would have been sitting empty.
Well as one chapter comes to an end and another one begins it almost feels like the end of a book with my medical education and the beginning of a new book. The next few months will be the prelude of the new book until we finally get settled down in our new home which will be the official start of the next part of our lives.
Will try to keep this posted with pictures as the building process continues.
No comments:
Post a Comment